Friday, March 9, 2012

What is the difference between a syndicated and non-syndicated column?

I know the word “Syndicated” means a group of business or people but I don't know what a syndicated column is.What is the difference between a syndicated and non-syndicated column?
A non-syndicated column is one that appears in just one publication, so it's exclusive. An example would be Stephen King's column in Entertainment Weekly - you won't find it anywhere else.

http://www.ew.com/ew/package/0,12938,472…



A syndicated column appears in multiple publications, whether newspapers or magazines. Usually it's done through a major syndicate or news corporation - the New York Times Syndicate, Gannett, Newhouse News Service, etc. - though sometimes syndicated columns get sold through smaller services. There are tons of columnists to choose from - Michelle Malkin, Mickey Kaus, Dave Barry and Roger Ebert, just to name a few.What is the difference between a syndicated and non-syndicated column?
Having failed to get my column syndicated, you have presented me with an opportunity to rant against the decision makers of syndicates.



However, to be kind, I shall avoid the harsh comments.





A syndicate is a group of people (in the instant case) who have contracts with newspapers (or electronic media).



Those contracts allow the purchaser of one or more columns to have exclusive rights to each purchased column in a particular area and/or for a time certain.



The purchased column(s) cannot be sold by the syndicate to a competing entity unless the contract permits such an action. Nor can the author sell his column to such a competing entity.



When a person writes columns, those columns can be sold, granted, or otherwise provided to a syndicate. That syndicate places each column in a package with columns written by others.



The entire package (or each column - depending upon the contract) is then available for purchase by all subscribers to the syndicate.





In short, if I have a few great columns, I can send them to one or more newspapers by myself. The overworked editor can read over my columns (or not!) and make a decision as to whether or not the columns are worth the space. [Note Bene: The only thing editors have to work with of great tangible value is space in the paper.]



I am able to elect to send my column to one or more papers with my own stamps. If this option is chosen, then my column is not syndicated.



If I am good enough, a syndicate can place my column in their package and send it to many newspapers using their stamps, If this option is chosen, then my column is syndicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment